Christ-centered, Bible-believing, Mission-focused
Great Valley is a Christ-centered, Bible-believing, mission-focused congregation. We exist to glorify God by enabling all people to become fully devoted followers of the Lord Jesus Christ. We prayerfully strive, through the Holy Spirit, to fulfill our purpose by worship, Biblical teaching, service, fellowship, and active involvement in world evangelization. While the church embraces its historic roots, we endeavor to fulfill our purpose through ministry and mission initiatives.
Great Valley has been affiliated with the Evangelical Presbyterian Church since 2007. Throughout most of Great Valley’s history, the church was affiliated with the Presbyterian Church (USA) and its predecessor denominations. Although we acknowledge the faithfulness of our founders, we also seek to be sensitive and relevant to the needs of the changing world in which we live.
We invite you to worship with us on Sundays and serve in community with us throughout the week.
Statement of Faith
Exalting the biblical message
The Holy Scriptures of the Old and New Testaments are given by inspiration from God and are the only infallible rule of faith and practice.
We believe in one God, the sovereign Creator and Sustainer of all things, infinitely perfect and eternally existing in three Persons: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. To Him be all honor, glory and praise forever!
Jesus Christ, the living Word, became flesh through His miraculous conception by the Holy Spirit and His virgin birth. He who is true God became true man united in one Person forever. He died on the cross a sacrifice for our sins according to the Scriptures. On the third day He arose bodily from the dead, ascended into heaven, where, at the right hand of the Majesty on High, He now is our High Priest and Mediator.
The Holy Spirit has come to glorify Christ and to apply the saving work of Christ to our hearts. He convicts us of sin and draws us to the Savior. Indwelling our hearts, He gives new life to us, empowers and imparts gifts to us for service. He instructs and guides us into all truth, and seals us for the day of redemption.
Salvation a Free Gift
Being estranged from God and condemned by our sinfulness, our salvation is wholly dependent upon the work of God's free grace. God credits His righteousness to those who put their faith in Christ alone for their salvation, thereby justifies them in His sight. Only such as are born of the Holy Spirit and receive Jesus Christ become children of God and heirs of eternal life.
The True Church
The true Church is composed of all persons who through saving faith in Jesus Christ and the sanctifying work of the Holy Spirit are united together in the body of Christ. The Church finds her visible, yet imperfect, expression in local congregations where the Word of God is preached in its purity and the sacraments are administered in their integrity; where scriptural discipline is practiced, and where loving fellowship is maintained. For her perfecting, she awaits the return of her Lord.
The Lord's Return
Jesus Christ will come again to the earth-personally, visibly, and bodily-to judge the living and the dead, and to consummate history and the eternal plan of God. "Even so, come, Lord Jesus." (Rev. 22:20)
Proclaiming the Gospel
The Lord Jesus Christ commands all believers to proclaim the Gospel throughout the world and to make disciples of all nations. Obedience to the Great Commission requires total commitment to "Him who loved us and gave Himself for us." He calls us to a life of self-denying love and service. "For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them." (Eph. 2:10)
Carrying the light for 300+ years
Established before 1710
Over 50 years before our founding fathers authored the Declaration of Independence, Great Valley Presbyterian Church took root in Chester County Pennsylvania. The first public reference to Great Valley was in the minutes of the Philadelphia Presbytery in 1710. Until they had a building, church members met in the woods or in their homes. The first church building was made of logs and erected in 1720. This log building served the congregation for 73 years. During those colonial times, Great Valley Presbyterian Church was one of only 12 congregations constituting Presbyterianism in the colonies.
The church was incorporated by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania in 1788 under the official name of “the Presbyterian Congregation of Tredyffrin”. The new church building of clapboard construction was built on its current location in 1796. In 1889, the main portion of the sanctuary was completed. Great Valley has been in continuous existence on this site since being settled.
Prior to the development of the Great Valley Corporate Center, Great Valley was a small country church. The congregation consisted mostly of farmers and their families. In support of suburban growth, Great Valley has added to its physical plant in order to meet the needs of the congregation. A connection between the two buildings was completed in 1931. Throughout numerous building changes, Great Valley Presbyterian Church has continued to be an historic church exalting its biblical message.
Great Valley is a proud member of the
Evangelical Presbyterian Church.